Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Crow's Nest Part 2 #1



Part 2

1


            After a decade more, more or less, one morning I arrived by appointment, rang the doorbell, was admitted, seated and viewed briefly without comment… by Margaret.  She left the room and then returned.  In the left alone interval I surveyed the offerings of the day.  A small frontal pile of …not much… was backed up by a larger, dirty MOUND of …looks-like-just-come-out-of-the-attic… crud.  I did not have time to inspect or contemplate these objects for Margaret returned
            She walked directly to the Mother’s chair and stood before it …looking down on me.  I looked up at her.
            “MOTHER IS DEAD.” She began.  “SHE DIED TUESDAY MORNING.”  It was now Thursday morning.  I was shocked.  The mother had called me last Friday morning to make our appointment.  Margaret watched me.  “I DECIDED TO KEEP OUR APPOINTMENT BECAUSE MOTHER WOULD HAVE WANTED ME TO.  WE HAD HER FUNERAL YESTERDAY.  SHE IS BURIED.  YESTERDAY.”
            I slowly stammered a sort of I am sorry I am very shocked I am very surprised I am… and are you sure you want me here… something utterance.
            “OF COURSE WE WANT YOU HERE.  WE MUST GO ON JUST AS WE HAVE FOR THAT IS WHAT MOTHER WANTS.  SHE IS EXPECTING YOU TODAY.  SHE IS EXPECTING YOU TO BEHAVE JUST AS YOU ALWAYS DO”
            I took that in and then queried “How did she die?”
            “SHE THREW HERSELF DOWN THE CELLAR STAIRS.  SHE DIED FROM THE FALL.  SHE BROKE HER WRIST AND I COULDN’T GET HER UP.  THE AMBUALNCE CAME AND TOOK HER TO THE HOSPITAL.  SHE WOULDN’T SAY ANYTHING.  SHE LOOKED AROUND AT ALL OF US.  NOT A WORD.  THEN WENT TO SLEEP.  SHE DIED THE NEXT MORNING.  IT WAS ALL VERY SUDDEN.  THAT IS JUST THE WAY SHE WANTED IT.  I KNOW SHE WANTED IT.  THAT’S WHY SHE DID IT:  THROWING HERSELF DOWN THE CELLAR STAIRS.  OF COURSE THEY ALL SAY SHE FELL BUT I KNOW MOTHER.”
            “Now what do I do? I thought and that thought amounted to nothing for Margaret continued:
            “WE MUST GO ON JUST AS MOTHER WANTED TO.  I HAVE HER THINGS HERE FOR YOU AS USUAL BUT I AM ADDING SOME FROM MYSELF FOR THAT WILL BE THE WAY FROM NOW ON.  THESE ARE FROM BLOOD FARM.  WE ARE SELLING BLOOD FARM.  I WANT YOU TO COME THERE.  MOTHER WANTED YOU TO COME THERE.  THERE ARE MANY THINGS THERE.  SO MUCH RUBBISH.  MOTHER HATED ALL THE RUBBISH.  WE ARE SELLING THE FARM AND THE HOUSE MUST BE CLEANED OUT.  YOU MUST FIND ANYTHING WE MAY SELL FOR US.  MOTHER ALWAYS WANTED YOU TO GO WITH HER BUT NOW IT IS TOO LATE.  YOU WILL HAVE TO SHOW ME WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE RUBBISH.”
            All of Margaret’s oration was just that; oration.  Although delivered directly and in a booming voice of command, it was hardly overbearing and simply …direct statement… that one could not reply to.  The oration set the lay of the land and …that was that.
            “DO YOU WANT THIS RUBBISH.  IF SO HOW MUCH WILL YOU PAY!” she command while calming slicing the air toward the piles to her right with her hand. 
            I looked at the piles, looked at her and said “One hundred twenty-five.”
            “VERY GOOD NOW GET IT ALL OUT OF HERE AND WE WILL GO TO BLOOD’S FARM.  PAYING CASH AS USUAL I PRESUME.  PAY ME NOW PLEASE.”  I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment