Friday, April 6, 2012

The Crow's Nest Epilogue Blood Farm 9



Epilogue Blood Farm 9

            The finality of THIS Blood Farm auction… took three hours longer.  This included eating my lunch by fetching a sandwich from the lunch box in the truck and standing at my post gobbling it.  It included the fire chief eating, eating and eating from his found food source including his gobbling of a large bowl of homemade chili.  It also included engaging small talk with a smattering of information burdened fellow dealers mulling about the sale (“They found a pair of portraits in a bedroom but they’re not here that I see”, etc.).  “I never went in the bedrooms” I reminded myself.  “Who would have the portraits?”  “Who ever found them first… and took action”.  That there could have been a pair of portraits of Alice’s ancestors; the true Captain Blood, that she slept beneath as they hung on her bedroom wall… was more than a “probable”.  Those notions joined the long line of falling dominoes and… enhanced the fall off at the edge of the earth to include a realization of just how LITTLE of the estate I had actually seen.
            The seven bid.  And bid.  Upon objects they should have.  And shouldn’t have.  They bought what they LIKED and did NOT buy as a comprehensive conquest of their ancestor’s heritage.  I didn’t care.  I didn’t even follow their bidder paddle waving floor fights with the hostile dealers.  I did see the desk “go”.  $3,500. plus premium.  It took about forty-five seconds.  Eventually lot 421 was purchased by the seven.  The purchase was enhanced, as I watched after the thirty- five dollar hammer drop, by the auctioneer glaring up to his rear-of-the-hall right with an expression that I translated as a “WHY DID YOU STOP BIDDING!!!?” grimace.  Maybe THEY ate the chili TOO?
            Soon after that lot the sister in charge began roaming the hall.  I watched, waited and engaged. 
            “You’ve done very well today.” I opened.
            “OH YES.  Everything.  Well.  Except a FEW.  They bid so HIGH”.
            “I saw the highboy and the desk.  Also the clock parts.  Hold on to those.  In fact you should get them out of here before they disappear.”
            “Disappear?”
            “Ah… get lost.  You don’t want to loose them”.  I realized as I spoke that they COULD get lost; the seven had bought many lots and there was … a lot of stuff loose on the floor… little of which I had seen anyone grimace over.
            “I think my husband has it” she said.  I said nothing more.  She looked directly at me.  “What do you thing of the desk?” she asked.
            “It’s very nice.” I said while going “Didn’t we already do this?” to myself.  She kept looking at me.
            “Do you know it has a secret hiding place in a drawer?”
            I looked at her face.  “Yes.” I said.
            “YOU DO?” she said.
            “Yes.  The center drawer”
            “Do you know there’s a PIRATE PAPER in there?” she asked
            “Oh yes; a slip”
            “You do NOT.” She said.
            “It has a drawing of a schooner and says Captain Blood this is wrote with my blood your old master”. I said clearly.
            “YOU DO!” she said and touched my arm.  “What do you think it MEANS?”
            “Means?  Really means?” I said.  “I’m sure… that is, I BELIEVE, it is the front leaf from a log or day book that Captain Blood’s old master wrote that on as a jest one day when visiting and finding only the Captain’s book and no captain at home.  The Captain tore it out and saved it in the secret cubby”.
            The sister was looking hard at me.  I sensed that she didn’t fully understand AND agree with my explanation.  “But he was a pirate.” She said.
            I took my queue.  “Of course.  They were ALL pirates along the coast.  But you shouldn’t say that to people.  They saw themselves as respectable merchants”.
            She looked at me and smiled.  “We’re going to have it FRAMED”.
            “Framed?  I’d just leave it in the desk.  It ties the desk to the Bloods.”
            She gave me a blank look.
            “Of course… it will look very nice framed.” I said as I mentally pushed the Blood Farm desk… of the edge of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment