Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Posterior - Part Three - "Sleight of Hand (Sight and Hand)"


Posterior

Part Three

"Sleight of Hand (Sight and Hand)"



            Now that... old things’ (antiques)... we find... may be found, seen, stumbled upon or:  Bought, sold, collected and discoursed upon...
            At a
            Flea market
            With withering (inter-vendor finger pointing and rumor mongering).  Too.

            Now that
            The Port-“oh”-Potty has been “occupied”, the food court taste tested, the ‘field’ walked, the vendor stalls ‘tire kicked’
            The philosophy (of flea market) acknowledged.  The humanity (of flea market) bleeding out.  (All from Part Two).
“Now then”.
No:
            Now that:
            A
            Trick
            Book?





            Not only did it start at a very young age (for I) but there was an ‘also’ of having others pointing out that one could
            “Do that”.
            One old man (an antiquarian sales tactician) assured me that if I want to sell a ‘whatever’ for a lot of money I just do not...
            Put this ‘whatever’ out on a flea market table ‘for sale’ with a price tag on it.  “No.” he assured me, especially if the ‘whatever’ was an especially desirable ‘whatever’ and I sought a price capturing that aspect.  “No.” he ...told... me.  “Let them only see a quarter inch of it if you want to sell it (for a lot of money)”.
            That was not a sleight of hand that was easy to ‘live by’.  The antiquarian connoisseurship rule is, always, that one is, always, a ‘to show’ the best things (‘whatever’) one “HAS” to an (knowing and receptive) (?) audience that, too, “BUYS”.  No; the ‘little-bads’ lie
            About ‘Buy’.
            That part; the (actual) buy... chokes.  So. “HIDE IT ON THEM” (sight and hand):

            “Did I say this is all at a flea market too?  I should notice that to you.  Too.”
            (Quoted from Part One).

            So if I am at a flea market, I may sleight of hand using... sight and hand. And:
            Be considered too that “A” flea market and/or an “I” being there may too... be too... a sleight of hand (sight and hand) TOO. 
            That is... to understand, I may be “at” this sleight of hand (sight and hand) on
            NUMEROUS... market tiers.
            (I will come back to this point but).
            Yes; that is right.  And the intentional effort... is to ‘get you to buy’ ‘whatever’; a ‘good’ one... ‘for a lot’.






            “What happened to the bowls of fish chowder?” you say.  (Part Two)
            I already told you about that.  I was a nice guy.  I still am a ‘nice guy’ for telling you about ‘this’ (sleight of hand – ‘sight and hand’).

            To bring us back to the start-together:  Above I notice that one may not depend on a simple ‘put whatever on your table with a price and someone buys it’ to create enough sales to make all this (“doing a flea market”) worth it.  One must... sleight of hand... using sight and hand... to increase sales.  So... following that self advice I start preparing for ‘the market’ and my ‘tables’ days... weeks... before... in a effort to have a ‘perfect balance' of ‘whatever’ to sell... “INTO” my ‘configure that’.  There’s where ‘dicey’ starts.  I am saying I ‘sleight of hand’ ‘whatever’ as basic commercial preparation on as many ‘whatever’ as I ...feel... I may configure to ‘be prepared’ (Boy Scouts of America) to sight and hand... sales... from the
            Posture (here the posterior antiquarian market called ‘flea’)
            Of my table tops at these flea markets.  Yes; posture.  The table tops are a nominal ‘street corner’ from which I may, at nominal cost and regulation, ‘stand’.  Sleight of hand does the rest.
            If  I consider, professionally as an antiquarian dealer, and configure my street corner well, I will, as that antiquarian dealer, be ‘loaded for bear’ and any “you” shuffling along down my vendor’s lane, will “never know”.  Unless, of course, you seek and spy a ‘quarter inch’ of a ‘whatever’ I have... ‘sleight of hand’ that happens to be a ‘your thing’.  Understand this?  It is harder than you think and is... much harder to do than you think ...too.  Need a simplistic example?





            If I am a rare book dealer... TOO... I buy and sell rare books.  Discounting ‘buy’ and featuring ‘sell’ I do not simply put my ‘a rare book whatever’ “OUT” on the table for you to
            Maul
            With your well intentioned curiosity and... fumble fingers.  No.  I do not like you TOUCHING my rare books and... even seeing them.  Do not fret for if one should be a ‘serious’ I NOTICE THAT either from past contact and / or that you ‘handle’ (inspect) a carefully chosen ‘rare book’ on the table that... IF YOU ARE SERIOUS you ‘must’ and ‘will’ handle because... that is what you came to the flea market to do.  ONCE you have set my ‘ice fishing flag’ to wiggle, I ...MAY (my choice) step in to you with a ‘this’... or ‘that’... or “A” (quarter inch visible) “must have – collector grade... “rare book”.  Do not worry; this all happens very fast and you’d never notice if you are on the outside of, in this example, a ‘the rare books’... anyway.  Meaning too that IF you are, for example, looking for ‘PAINTINGS’ I “do that too”.  In fact the need is for one to understand and conceptualize that ALL... DESIGN... TYPES... as many as possible... are ‘brokered’ this way on my street corner all the time as fast as I can with as much prepared
            Sleight of hand
            As possible.  It is... on going... and ‘never stops’ for me... “ever”.






            Its base is ‘what I’ve found’, what ‘I have’, what it , commercially ‘actually is’ (value reality check DONE IN HOUSE), who ‘buys that’ for ‘how much’, when – where and will they be a
            BE THERE and
            DO I... have it with me.  Just ‘think’ what that last means.  It is me sitting in a chair in the dark in the barn a three thirty in the morning mentally rapidly rattling design ‘fields’ through my mind to determine what I “HAVE” at that moment so may, therefore, ‘bring’ at that moment.  That is a vast amount of ‘whatever’... and ‘who ever’ (a buyer) to be configuring.  So you will not be doing that soon... in competition with me.  No.  This is professional grade sleight of hand (pee in cupped hands).  It is not something one may practice.  WHY?  Because, Sissy, one has to HAVE THE ‘whatever’ before one may even approach a ‘sleight of hand’ ‘flea market’ vendor... vending.  YOU HAVE TO HAVE
            A something.  Or... in my case... a LOT of DIFFERENT “GOOD” (from an antiquarian design perspective) “STUFF”... showing only a quarter inch
            Of.  “Good luck with that”.





            Jack knives, Barbie dolls, 1960’s retro Pyrex glassware... and all such crud... GOES (is sold) NOW retaining ever ‘better’ whatever and these are ever more expensively priced to ...blossom... within ‘sleight of hand’ as ... these prove to be... pretty fine and ‘touchy’ expensive ‘antiques’.  Am I saying that if you look at a vendor table top that has a six dollar crap painting on it one may, too, denote by ‘quarter inch’ notice that ‘that same guy’ “just sold” a “PAINTING” ‘that looked really good’ ($3,500) out of the truck’s cab?  Yes.  And you were not invited.  You do, in fact, have to EARN your ‘way in’ to all this.  HOW?  By becoming known to be one who ‘knows’ ...AND... “buys”.  And does this; knows and buys.  It is an action.  Taken.






            Okay...now I go back to the part I said I’d get back to:  “Numerous market tiers.
            Simply... notice that one may make a fatal mistake by believing flea market vendors are ‘idiots’.  Wrong and quite ...need to understand... the opposite.  For myself, the theater of the flea market is a ‘perfect (commercial antiquarian) storm AND a perfect home for that storm.  Getting a ‘you’ to dismiss a ‘me’ is ...very lucrative when enhanced on the ‘me’ side with sleight of hand.  You ‘thinking’ the not-possible is possible at a flea market IS the ‘quarter inch’ in process.  I just put the ‘whatever’ ‘THERE’ (the not -possible... possible).  I say nothing at all.  YOU’RE THE EXPERT.  Remember?  That is why you came to the flea market.  So I keep... it all... ‘shut... up’, except, of course, the quarter inch.




            I do not promote.  The quarter inch object is all I need.  YOU do the rest.  It works best when there is no conception on the buyer’s part as to a who, how, why, where of any of this... aside from the quarter inch view of the ‘priced’ ‘whatever’.  Look at it.  Go away and ponder.  Come back and look again.  Ponder and wander.  Return.  Buy... it.  No I do not want to hear your ‘game plan’.  I want you to ‘think’ I am an idiot.  Thank you for doing this.  You will come back ‘seeking’ “ever more”.  Or not.  My ‘Santa list’ is in constant edit (revising).  YOUR place on the list CHANGES.  Often in seconds.  Trust me:  One faces a real.  This is real.




            So it turns out at a flea market that an antiquarian may be, shall I say, ‘dressing down’... and be a slippery commercial critter too.  That is ‘of that’ a ‘treasured too’; a ‘kept in deep respect for’.  It is hard to not respect something that works so well and is a perk full too.  For example, I don’t “NEED” to shave ‘that day’.  En-stuff.  And again... it IS the stuff (the collector grade antiques) that fuels the engine.  Without my “THAT” there is no quarter inch that may be spied by ‘you’.




No comments:

Post a Comment