Friday, May 23, 2014

"It's Been Two Years" - Part Nine - "The Medicine Spoon" - (C) - "Scramble Up To See"


"It's Been Two Years"

Part Nine

"The Medicine Spoon"

(C)

"Scramble Up To See"


            I had my first contact... with a medicine spoon... kept in an old New England sewing stand’s drawer... in an old New England ‘front room’... of an old New England home... on a very old... old New England ‘street’... in a... very old... old New England village... when I was
            CHASED by that spoon... in the hand of my mother.
            “Symbolic Icon” “coming after me”... “IT” (the old medicine spoon) QUICKLY came to be.  I... understood its procurement and ...movement... TOWARD ME... by the sound “IT” made “in another room”.  “Scoot” ...I perfected.
            ICON I understood... IT... perfected.
            EVEN WITH a WHITE SUGAR FILLED “spoonful” SOAKED with... “father john’s” or a... “doctor brown’s”... I... “scoot”.  Historic... and iconic placement in antiquities, decorative arts and... fine arts...:  It; the medicine spoon... IS a ‘design form’ of
            Old New England.  HOW
            YOU get to YOUR acknowledgement of this foundation value
            Is your problem.
            I... ‘am there’ with...; I have nearly a half century of discovery, identification, inspection, contemplation, gathering, ruminating upon and ‘getting rid of’... old... medicine spoons I have “FOUND” in ...old New England homes.  Therefore “WHY?”... should be easier to understand IF I, like a dancing bear... “A” to “Z”
            Prove
            That it is not
            Just me.


            I will do “A” and then “Z”.  YOU ...MAY... fill in the rest... of the individualized letter referenced ‘examples’; the remaining 24 letters... but... I will now direct and remind that... in this tale... I am AT Cadence’s ‘seated in shed door’ now TWO weeks ago with...
            an...
            Old coin silver teaspoon sticking up-out my shirt pocket to... ‘ask her about’ (Part Eight) so ...YOU... only have to come up with twenty-three ‘examples’.
            Do not worry... if you cannot... I... can.



            The American classic foundation example of a “the medicine spoon”:
            I have already referenced Twain’s TOM SAWYER in this tale (Part Nine [A]) but now...
            “YEAH”... be you... ALREADY... GOING... “OH NO”?



            That’s right... even the “YOU” “KNOWS” “The Cat and the Pain Killer”.  (That’s chapter twelve in the tome) and for the ‘otherwise’ reader:  “I can’t believe you don’t know that story your such an idiot”.  Shortened to ‘go read it you need to’ simple summary... TOM is chased by a ...the medicine spoon... in the hand of Aunt Polly until he... gets a figure-this-out on... on it (the spoon)... by faining self-dosing cheerfully when he is actually ‘filling in a crack in the floor’ using... the medicine spoon... to deploy the medicine... a spoonful at a time.  This all comes to a tumble down when Tom... doses the cat with the ‘pain killer’ served up in, again, ...the medicine spoon... and:  GO READ IT (the whole book; Adventures of Tom Sawyer).
            That is icon example “A”.
It is, as a foundation example, very had to beat inclusive of the ORIGINAL EDITION illustrations... TOO.




            So.... for I... “I WAS CHASED... and... Tom Sawyer was chased
            By a The Medicine Spoon.
            Too.
            From that starting example...
“A”...
There are many... many... many more examples. 
(Including Louisa May)
            Throughout
            The history of
            Our
            U.S.A.
            “HOW” throughout ...the U.S.A. history... is well rolled up tight and
            Crammed
            By example “Z”


            There is very little... and very little reason... in American prose... to be able to ‘well roll up tight’ and ‘cram’.  Inappropriate merges with lack of actual physical state to purvey ‘no opportunity’ to... ‘get away doing that’.  THAT then adapts... to prose pontification... to a ...purveys... that SHOULD an opportunity present itself... it... SHOULD be seized:  That is... it is... the old core of “There are only opportunities and the seizing of them.”
            Fluttering down like a lone leaf last fall... but actually occurring but a mere five weeks ago... THIS SPRING (“April 14, 2014”)... and before the ‘two weeks ago’ of NOW... where I am seated with Cadence ...at her shed doorway... I
            “GOT YOU”:



            Example “Z”:
            The pictorial illustrated cover of “THE NEW YORKER” magazine****
            Where a:
            The hand holds the... The Medicine Spoon... in iconic poise.  The other hand holds the ...medicine bottle... in ...iconic poise reminiscent of TOM dosing the CAT...; an ‘illustration’ it is... too.  WHO holds those icons to DOSE WHO WHY WHEN WHERE upon the cover
            OF WHAT MAGAZINE?
            “WHAT WEEKS AGO?"
            “NO!” you say.
            “YES” I say and it is
            TOO
            ALL
            Iconic... symbolism TOO
            OF
            “The Medicine Spoon”.
It is disturbing, I know (understand),
That perturbance
            Of balance
            Of the I... my... ‘get that’ “THIS”;
            To get away with THAT THIS
            HERE... for such a simple object
            And its ownership of
            Its design heritage...
            In old drawers ‘a clutter’
            In an old New England home.




            But I got it, get it.
            Roll it tight
            And... “crammed”
            As example “Z”.



            Now that I have established and supported the iconic (design) heritage of
            The Medicine Spoon
            Sticking up from my shirt pocket
            To be ‘shown’ to Cadence
            To... ‘ask about’
            To... verify
            My
            “Why?”
            As of this ... old New England
Absolution
            Of my SHARED WITH YOU
            “One example of”
            “In an old New England home”...
            WE
            May now travel together
            With my self (infatuated?) FEEL
            Of a wholeness... an old New England wholeness
            WITHIN the old New England home
            That dare me to
            “Chucked it out”;
            The new (?) ‘The Medicine Spoon’:

“I have to park
My SUV
At the Box Store.
...By Three”.




             “LEAVE ME”
            If you are that.
            If you are not
            Then welcome to the ‘how beautiful it is’
            To sit with Cadence in her shed doorway
            With her ruffled self and
            Her kitty
            Cats:
            Her wreck upon the rocks
            “I scramble up to see”.



**** :  Barry Blitt, “The Best Medicine”, “COVER”, THE NEW YORKER, APRIL 14, 2014.






No comments:

Post a Comment