Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Old New England Glassware in the Home - Part Twenty-Five - "All of That is Trash"


Old New England Glassware in the Home

Part Twenty-Five

"All of That is Trash"



            I didn’t ever run away from EAPG; old New England glassware in the home.  That was my problem:  I didn’t ‘walk from it’.  I mean... it wasn’t... and is not... even...
‘a problem’.  The only time it is, I suppose, a ‘problem’ is when I am in a forced contact situation where there is no EAPG but the PEOPLE there “HAVE GLASS” (ware) that they “THINK” is “GOOD” including “VERY GOOD” and with that glassware often being REALLY
            REALLY
            Really
            BAD ‘old glassware’.  But... they (the PEOPLE) are still obsessive that I
            ‘Eat all of your vegetables and THEN you can have dessert’.




            Actually... the ‘worse’... is when there IS EAPG and it’s... like...
            TRAPPED in the cupboard bottom and I’m the only one who can save it and the “THEY PEOPLE” won’t shut-up and are trying to get me to... like... “LOOK AT A CHAIR” in the third floor guest room “WE KNOW IT’S VERY OLD”.
            I can see the EAPG spill holder.
            In the dining room cupboard bottom.
            It is in an amber colored glass.
            That is very rare.
            I...
            “HOW THE HELL AM I GONNA get that OUT OF THERE?”




            Do you ever follow people up a stairs?  You... ‘up the stairs’ behind them with your face flush with their butt?  “Yeah”; that.  You know:  To, like, the “THIRD FLOOR”.  In the “THEIR HOUSE”.  “WE’RE GONNA SHOW YOU.”
            How about you drop my leash and go downstairs and SIT in the living room while I “WALK THROUGH” your... ‘house full’ of (your) CRAP and
            Then go back to the dining room and snitch that amber SPILL and... put it
            In my sport jacket pocket up side down and “THANK YOU” and go out to my truck and
            DRIVE AWAY.




            “Do you take THINGS
On CONSIGNMENT?”
            “No.”
            “WELL MAYBE YOU COULD SELL THEM FOR US AND WE would
            Pay you a COMMISION”.
            “No.”
            “Well we know the CHAIR is VERY GOOD”.
            “Good?”
            “YOU KNOW:  VALUABLE”.
            “Oh... ok.”
            “DO YOU SEE ANYTHING ELSE?”
            “Else?”
            “SEE LIKE THIS TRUNK.”
            “Box; tool box... or something.”
            “IT’S VERY OLD and it has ALWAYS BEEN HERE”.
            “I can see that.”
            “WE REALLY DON’T WANT TO SELL THAT.”





            It really is that stupid.  Over and over.  House after house.  Sometimes they call it ‘Home’.  Not that often.  It’s usually “house”.  Sometimes it’s “HOUSE?”  That’s, like, when it’s... like... a... “What are you going to DO with the HOUSE?”.  I try to avoid ever saying something stupid like that.  I’m successful at that.  You know:
            “HOUSE?”.  Like... it’s stupid and it doesn’t go anywhere.  Like... how’s that gonna get that amber spill out of that cupboard bottom and into my truck?  Huh?
            “Yeah that’s right; just ...shut... up.”
            They’re showing me the freezer in the ‘basement’:  “WE UNPLUGGED IT”.  They “finished” the ‘basement’ when they “PUT A NEW FOUNDATION UNDER THE HOUSE”.  Before that the space was a (dirt floor, hand dug, field stone wall lined) “cellar”.  They lifted (“RAISED”) the house and put a mold cast concrete BOX under ‘the house’ and lowered that back down and ...put a freezer in it (“THE BASEMENT”) and... plugged that in and:
            “That’s good enough for down here”.




            “MOTHER’S THINGS are from HER FAMILY”.  “DAD CAME FROM ONTARIO”.  THEY BOUGHT THE HOUSE WHEN THEY WERE MARRIED.  MOTHER’S (only) BROTHER married the JAMESON GIRL and they MOVED to PORTMOUTH so SOLD HER FAMILY’S HOUSE (this house) TO THEM when they MOVED AWAY.  IT WAS IN VERY BAD CONDITION THEN so they CLEANED IT OUT”.
            Could the spill holder be from the Jameson family estate?  I mean, like... ‘still be in there’ from ‘that’?  If they lifted the house up to put a cement box under it ...that
            DOES NOT
            Mean they ...the cupboard BOTTOM... in the dining room?  “WHAT ELSE DID THEY DO?”
            “To the house?”
            “They fixed the bathrooms”.




            So... the ‘problem’ IS ‘there’ ‘now’:  The ‘that was (IS) my problem’ that I opened this chapter (blog post) with.  I’ve seen the glass; the ‘old New England glassware’ in the THIS home.  I’ve seen it.  Just for, like, seconds.  I’m not gonna run away from it.  I’m not gonna walk from it.  I’ve got a problem... about old New England glassware in THIS home.  Right now that problem is ‘fairly’... ‘neutral’.  The amber colored spill is intermingled in the cupboard bottom’s... ‘safe harbor’ dry-dark-ness... among other ‘old’... ‘older’... ‘EAPG’... glassware
            There
            With the cupboard bottom’s door closed.
            “I wonder when the last time was they opened that (cupboard bottom)?”  I mean... opened it BEFORE I just did.  And I closed it.  And said nothing.  I didn’t even TOUCH anything.  That’s how good I am
            At this.




            So I’m, like, ‘rolling’ my ‘options’ of ‘what to do’.  Its like the stock market:  One has “options” of what to do; buy – sell... variable... options; “PUTS”.  You know:  Stuff like that.  Right?
            Maybe I’ll just walk from it:  Run away.
            “No.”
            There are too many options here.  The ‘their glassware’ is like bilge water in the bottom of a... “HOUSE?”... boat.  Bail the boat out?  Clink, clink, clink; I can hear the old glassware bumping together in the dirty cardboard box in the
            Back of the truck.
            “HOW DID YOU GET IT (the glassware from the dining room cupboard bottom)
            IN THERE?” (the back of the ‘my truck’).
            I didn’t.
            They did.
            The following Tuesday
            When I ‘went by’.





            “WE ARE STARTING to CLEAN OUT THAT IS ALL TRASH YOU CAN HAVE ANY OF THAT YOU WANT REALLY IT IS SO MUCH JUNK IN THERE HOW DID THEY LIVE LIKE THAT I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DIRTY IN MY LIFE.”
            “EVEN WHEN I OPEN THE CUPBOARDS IT SMELLS LIKE OLD DIRT WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SO MUCH JUNK TELL ME?”
            “WE’RE GONNA KEEP THAT NOW WE’VE DECIDED BUT IT’S VERY KIND OF YOU TO COME BUY WITH THAT.  IF THAT BOOKS SAYS IT’S 1820 THEN THEY MUST BE RIGHT I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS OLDER THOUGH.”
            “THERE’S A CONSIGNMENT STORE FOR THE THINGS WE DON’T WANT WE SHOWED THEM PICTURES (on their smart phone) AND SHE SAID OK BUT THEY KEEP FIFTY PERCENT AND WE DON’T KNOW ABOUT THAT YET”.





            (“So that would mean that if you were seeking two hundred dollars for your old chair you’d actually get one hundred dollars so do you want to sell it right now for one hundred dollars?”)
            “NO:  NOT REALLY.  Would you REALLY BUY IT FOR THAT?”
            “No”.
            “Oh.  ...   But you just said you’d pay...”
            “No:  I said would you ‘want to sell it’.  I didn’t say I would “buy it”.
            “Oh... right.  Well we’re thinking of KEEPING THAT anyway.”
            “Well you certainly won’t find another one.”
            “THAT’S WHAT WE WERE JUST SAYING.”
            “All that is trash?”
            “Anything there in that pile is trash WE’RE GOING TO RENT A DUMPSTER
            “FOR IT.”
            “IT’S FROM THAT PLACE THAT ADVERTISES ON TV”.




            This, too, is part of the decline; the decadence of ‘old New England glassware in the home’.  It is happening just like this all the time; stupid negligence by people who should.... and will... tell me... they know better
            To my face.
            From 1850 forward... inclusive of the ‘early ones’ EAPG surviving in their habitat (dining room cupboard bottoms, et al)... the notice of EAPG has ‘run amuck’ and... usually, without a saving grace... it is ‘pitched’ into the muck.  Is there a key to this mucking-up?  Is there a lock that needs a key?  Or is it ‘left unlocked’ with no lock, no key and the glassware is... just a cupboard bottom Hell hole (whole) away from ‘all that is trash’.  Is the most binding feature of ....old New England glassware in the home... today... be that... it is ...thrown out?







1 comment:

  1. At times I have wondered, when I have seen families and friends filling dumpsters whilst cleaning out the old (150 -200 years) family home/house. "Forgive them FATHER for they know not what they do."

    ReplyDelete